Learning a foreign language is super hard. I don’t know if that’s news to you, but it was kind of a shock for me. Since I had never really studied a language before (save one year of Spanish in high school and an embarrassing few months in South America), I had some foolish ideas about how long it should take me to learn French here. Long story short? Five years and counting.
Below is a collection of stories about this eye opening, often humiliating, yet mostly fun experience.
- September 2014: Where I’m At
- How the Brain is Badly Wired
- Fun with Rosetta Stone
- Embarrassing Embrasses
- Class #1 in the French Riviera
- Immersion Controversy
- Class #2 in Quebec, or, Didn’t You Already Learn French?
- French French vs Canadian French
- The Fluent in 3 Months guy and other Polyglot Jerks
- Foolish Dinner Party Hosting and the Expat Bubble
- Class #3 in Provence, or, Am I Fluent Yet?? TBD
(The second half is a work in progress, links will be active once published)
Plus two bonus stories:
- Paris: City of Change (a thank you letter to my Mom on her birthday)
- Church Hopping (in honor of my Dad, for Father’s Day)